Wednesday 8 August 2012

Toys, Oh Toys

I always wondered how some moms could go crazy buying stuff for their kids. If you're in such a spending mood why not shower some love on yourself too? Why does it have to be just for them? Maybe this speaks to my more selfish side?

But today I went to Toys R Us and had an experience similar to what I imagine those moms have regularly. I swear I went there just to see if they had plastic dishes for Jr. I looked at Walmart with no success so I decided to see what Toys R Us had to offer. I promised myself I wouldn't spend a ridiculous amount on plastic dishes.

Then I saw a little pop up toy that Jr's friend Little Monster has at her house. Jr loves this toy. She can't get enough of pushing the animals back inside and getting someone to pop them up for her. I had found something similar at Walmart but for a ridiculous $20. I found one at TRU for $10. I couldn't help myself.

Then I saw they were having a sale on Sesame Street toys. Jr loves Sesame Street. We already bought Hooper's Store attached to an apartment building and Oscar's dump truck with Oscar, Cookie Monster and Elmo figurines at a sale at Zeller's. This time they had the Count driving a school bus with another Elmo figurine. I think out of all my purchases, this was the most unnecessary (if you can call any of the other purchases necessary!)
Finally, though, I found a 22 plastic dish set for a mere $10. I mostly bought them so she could play with them outside with water, something she does at my parents'. I'm always amazed how long it can keep her attention -- although you have to keep the water coming.

Here's the kicker: I sincerely enjoyed shopping for and buying these items. I thought about how happy they would make her (even if for only a short while). I loved walking up and down the aisles of TRU looking at all of the toys and mentally picking out what I thought she would like.

Why, though? Did I not get enough toys as a child? Am I overcompensating with Jr? Do I falsely equate giving her toys with giving her my love?

I don't think it's any of those things.

I think it's simply the fact that I love seeing Jr's face light up. I love making her happy and squeal with delight. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. So long as I remind myself that it is simply impossible for Jr to be happy 24/7 and that no amount of toys or food can change that. That sometimes, it's good for her to be bored, or sad, or upset, or disappointed or discouraged.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all ears!