Tuesday 24 April 2012

First Sleepover

This weekend was quite a momentous occasion. Jr spent the night with my parents. Yup, her very first sleepover. I had been looking forward to it for awhile but also wondering how I would feel. I remember my parents babysitting my niece Meggos Eggos while I was still living at home. My SIL called at least twice to see how everything was going. At the time I didn't understand (not having any kids of my own at that point) and I wondered why she wasn't just enjoying her free time with my brother. Well, I have a better appreciation now.

It's not that I don't trust my parents. They are on the top of the list of people I feel completely at ease with leaving Jr. I know there's nothing they can't handle and I know they would only call if there was an emergency (broken leg emergency but not incessant crying emergency).

That being said, Jr has been with me every night for the past 365 + nights. 

While at the restaurant, I wondered if she went to bed easily. But I wasn't worried. 

While at the comedy show, I didn't think of her at all.

While driving down the highway, passing my parents' exit, I hoped she was sleeping.

When we got home, I tidied up her play area and went into her room to pull down the shade.

And I smelled her blanket.

Yes, I buried my face in her blanket and took a good whiff. I was a little sad, what can I say.

On the other hand, I was so excited that it was quarter to midnight and I didn't feel the pressure to get to bed because Jr would be waking us up in 6 hours. I was beside myself with the knowledge that I could get up at any time I wanted (which turned out to be 8:30 -- an extra 2 hours of sleep! Woo hoo!).

Hubby and I also went to breakfast the next morning. It was nice ordering whatever I wanted, not what I knew Jr would eat. It was nice not having to worry about Jr pulling my coffee on her lap or touching everything on the table and then throwing it on the floor. It was nice not having to worry that the service would be slow and dealing with a fussy infant because of it. The freedom!

Just the same, when we got to my parents' house, I was excited to see her.

Jr, however, didn't give two poops that I was there! It was like I had never left.

Ah, kids.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful evening and that Jr had a great time too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm all ears!